I have customers call daily that want to know “What are my options for QuickBooks” and I reply to them that there are various options depending on their industry and business model. Technology is changing for sure and with that brings a lot of opportunities as well as some challenges.
Here are the top 5 things to remember as you consider your options for QuickBooks:
- What industry am I in?
- Industry does matter to me when I recommend clients for a specific path in the QuickBooks family. There are a variety of desktop and online options designed to meet the needs of varying sizes of businesses as well as various industries.
- Here’s a great resource to see how the various options compare.
- Do I have inventory?
- If you are a heavy inventory business, you may find that you may need an add on for desktop or the online version of QuickBooks. It really will depend on the size of company, number of locations and various other company specific needs you may have.
- Taking a few extra hours/days during the discovery phase can save you a whole lot of time and money on the back end. The goal is to explore as many “what ifs” up front!
- What are the needs of my staff for accessing QuickBooks?
- Do they all work at one location? Remote in? Work from home?
- All of these questions help us ensure that we fully understand how your business operates and what your needs are.
- What is my budget?
- While QuickBooks is an “off the shelf” solution, it does take time and money to customize this tool to make it work most effectively for you.
- In addition to the software, you need to ensure that you have adequate computers, servers, and technology professionals as needed depending on the size and complexity of your business. If you are a one person, one computer business you will obviously have less resources involved than the company who has multiple locations with multiple computers and therefore will need a higher budget.
- What is my technology savvy level?
- Remember, every tool takes time to master and depending on where you are starting from will help us better understand the best path to get you from Point A to Point B.
These are just a few of the steps that you will go through in your discovery phase to find the right QuickBooks fit for you!